Competency Database Design
There are many companies offering solutions for competency management. Your company may even have staff with the ability to create an in-house solution. Here are some questions that you should ask before deciding upon a software solution:
What are my basic requirements?
- What does my organisation need to capture?
- What does my organisation need to report on?
- What does my auditor require?
- What is my budget?
- What regulatory requirements must we demonstrate compliance for?
- What legislative requirements must we demonstrate compliance for?
Do we have competency frameworks and models defined?
- Can these be mapped into a software solution?
What are my IT restrictions?
- Do I need an online solution?
- Do I need to utilize the company’s intranet?
- Is a third-party software system compatible with my network?
Do I request development of an in-house solution?
- If the developer leaves my company, can another person take control easily?
- Do the development team understand my requirements fully?
- If the system does not meet my requirements, can my data be moved to a new system from a third-party provider?
Do I purchase a third-party system?
- Does the supplier truly understand competence and its implications?
- Can I export data into other software programmes to communicate with others?
- Can the third-party assist with any queries I have about my competency framework?
- Can the third-party offer consultancy to help streamline my processes?
- If the purchased system does not meet my requirements, can my data be moved to a new system from a different provider?
Who will manage the system?
- Does the system allow multiple managers?
- Can managerial accounts be customized to restrict access to people/skills?
- Are other people in my company happy and willing to take ownership?